Most people in Russia have little idea what walnuts are. This delicacy can be prepared mainly by the inhabitants of the southern regions, since the nuts for jam should be collected very soft, preferably straight from the trees, in a green (unripe) state. However, due to the development of breeding, many southern cultures are moving smoothly to the north. And, perhaps, soon even the residents of the middle lane will have the opportunity to make this exotic jam, tearing the fruit from the trees in their area. Green walnut jam recipes do not indulge in a special variety. But, those who grow similar nut trees on or near the site, it will be interesting to get acquainted with the peculiarities of technology and the recipes for making this very useful dessert.
What is useful jam from green walnuts
Walnut fruits contain a rich set of vitamins (PP, C, group B), trace elements important for the functioning of the body acids, as well as phytoncides that help in the fight against certain types of bacteria.
The content of iodine in green fruits is especially high, therefore, most often, jam is recommended for people with thyroid problems. But green walnut jam can bring tangible benefits with the following health problems:
- with instability of blood pressure (hypertension);
- for insomnia, migraines and headaches, especially in meteo-dependent people;
- with depression and all kinds of fears;
- with liver diseases;
- to improve immunity, especially for colds: sore throat, flu and others;
- with gastritis;
- with atherosclerosis.
And this is only the data of official medicine. Traditional medicine recommends the use of nut jam with rheumatism, gout, the presence of gynecological and urological diseases.
In addition, in fact, painful conditions, the useful properties of jam from young walnuts will have a beneficial effect on pregnant women, on people whose work is associated with intense mental activity, as well as those who are extremely weakened after the recent surgery.
Harm of walnut jam made from green walnuts
Since walnut jam contains a fairly large amount of sugar, it should be used with great caution by people suffering from obesity.
In addition, it is contraindicated for small children and those who suffer from gastric ulcers, diabetes and allergic manifestations.
The taste of walnut jam
The taste of walnut jam is so unique that not everyone can describe it quite reliably. In addition, due to the difference in manufacturing technology, it can change quite a lot. The classic taste of nut jam with the peel is slightly reminiscent of sweet chocolate candy. The syrup itself is distinguished by sweetness, even by closeness, and the fruits are very tender, slightly resilient and also sweet.
If citric acid is used in the recipe, then refreshing acidity appears in the jam. And the addition of spicy aromatic substances adds new facets of taste to the jam.
How to make green walnut jam
The process of making nut jam can be divided into two uneven stages.
- The first stage - the actual preparation of the fruit for cooking, takes the most time, from 5 to 15 days.
- The second stage, which includes the direct preparation of jam, can allow to be packed in one day.
Those who have never made such a dessert have the most questions at the first stage. And this is not surprising.
First of all, it is necessary to understand in which months it is possible to cook this jam, because in the absence of experience, you can even miss the right time. Fruit should be picked up in the so-called milky ripeness, when the shell is still light green in color, soft and soft to the touch. A sharply sharpened wooden stick or a toothpick should easily penetrate into it. And in the incision, the flesh of the nut should be fairly uniform, gently white.
Usually the most suitable time for cooking jam from green nuts comes from the end of May to the end of June. In July, it may be somewhat late, although much depends on the particular variety and region of growth (weather conditions in the current season).Attention! If spring and early summer were cool or rainy, by July the nuts may not even have time to mature enough.
Fruits pick about the same size, without damage, that is, on the peel should not be dark or the more rotten spots.
Special attention should be paid to the dishes in which nuts will be prepared and the cooking process itself. In no case can not be used for these purposes aluminum or copper containers. Best of all are stainless steel pans with a thick bottom. Enamelware is also suitable, but light enamel can darken thoroughly from interacting with the fruit in the process of soaking. To this must be prepared. To stir the jam is best to use wooden, glass or ceramic spoons.
The first stage is maceration.
Green walnuts have a very bitter and unpleasant taste due to the high iodine content in the shell. Long soaking allows you to release the fruit from bitterness. For the same purposes also use a variety of substances: lime, soda or citric acid.
There are two main types of nut jam:
- With skinned, having a thick dark, almost black color.
- Without peel, in this case, the color of the jam becomes light brown.
The peel can also be removed in different ways: in a thin layer, using a peeler, or in a thick layer, practically leaving only the flesh. When cleaning the nuts from the peel is recommended to use rubber or latex gloves. Since the pigment substance contained in the peel of the fetus, can permanently paint the skin of the hands in almost black color.
Most often, the pre-soaking of nuts is as follows:
- First, whole green fruits are soaked in cold water for 2 days, not forgetting to replace the water two or even three times a day.
- Then they are washed for at least 4 hours, and a maximum of one day is immersed in a lime mortar or soda composition, or in a solution of citric acid.
Citric acid solution
The composition of the mixture
5 liters of water and 500 g of hydrated lime
3 liters of water and 150 g of soda
3.5 liters of water and 2 teaspoons of citric acid
Description of the procedure
Insist 4 hours, strain and pour the nuts
Mix the ingredients, pour the nuts
Mix the ingredients, pour the nuts
- In the next stage, the nuts are washed under running water, punctured with a sharp object over the entire surface of the peel, or they are completely peeled.
- Again pour cold water for at least one or several days, not forgetting to change the water regularly (2-3 times a day).
- The fruit is washed again under running water, and then boiled in boiling water for 10-12 minutes.
- Take out in a colander and drain excess liquid.
The second stage - making jam
This stage is more traditional.
- First, prepare a fairly rich sugar syrup.
- After boiling it thoroughly, put the prepared fruit into it and boil it for about 5 minutes.
- Set aside for 1 hour and, again bringing the jam to a boil, boil for 5 minutes.
- Repeat this procedure with settling at least 5 times.
- Then put the jam on sterile jars and tightly twist.
Jam of green nuts with peel
You will need:
- about 100 pieces of green walnuts;
- 1.6 liters of water;
- 2 kg of sugar;
- 5 liters of water;
- 0.5 kg of hydrated lime;
- a pinch of citric acid.
- Gather unripe nuts from the tree.
- Sort, wash and cut them into two halves.
- Place in a deep pot, pour cold water for several days.
- Constantly change the water at least 3-4 times a day.
- Then pour the fruit for 24 hours with prepared lime mortar.
- The solution is drained and the nuts are thoroughly washed.
- Again pour fresh cold water and leave for a day.
- Water is drained, poured fresh, heated to boiling and boiled for 25 minutes.
- The procedure is repeated 2 times.
- Nuts are laid out on a towel and dried.
- Syrup is prepared from water and sugar, in which citric acid is added and nuts are placed.
- Boil for 5 minutes and turn off the heat until the mixture cools.
- Repeat the procedure 5 times.
- Peeled green walnut jam can be considered ready.
- It is laid out in a sterile container, rolled up.
Bulgarian nuts jam
According to the Bulgarian recipe, nut jam is prepared with the obligatory use of citric acid for soaking.
You will need:
- about 1 kg of presoaked walnuts;
- 200 ml of water;
- 1 kg of sugar;
- 10 g of citric acid for syrup.
- First, the nuts are soaked in the traditional way for 5 days, constantly changing the water.
- Then peel off the peel and soak for another 5 days.
- In the next step, prepare a solution of 1.5 liters of liquid and 1 tsp of citric acid.
- Heat it until boiling, soak nuts in it for 5 minutes.
- Noise extract fruit and immersed in a container of cold water.
- Repeat this procedure 5 times, each time re-heating the solution with citric acid until boiling.
- Then cook traditional syrup from water and sugar, add to it citric acid.
- Washed nuts are placed there and boiled for about a quarter of an hour until cooked.
Armenian walnut jam
According to the Armenian recipe, green walnut jam is made with the obligatory addition of spices: cinnamon or vanilla, sometimes cloves.
You will need:
- about 1.5 kg of peeled and soaked walnuts;
- 2-2.2 kg of granulated sugar;
- 500 ml of pure water;
- 2 cinnamon sticks;
- 1.5 g vanilla.
- Water with sugar is heated to a boil and wait until the syrup is completely transparent.
- Lay in a boiling syrup completely soaked nuts with peeled.
- Spices should be placed with a gauze bag and also lowered into the syrup along with the fruit.
- Boil the syrup with nuts for a few minutes and allow it to cool for 6-8 hours.
- Repeat this procedure three times.
- Before putting the jam in the jars, take out the bag of spices.
- Then spread out in clean and dry jars, roll up.
How to make green walnut jam with lemon
Especially tasty and not as cloying as classic jam, it turns out a dessert of green walnuts, cooked with lemons.
The cooking process itself is identical to that described in the previous recipe. Only 2 lemons are added to the ingredients, which are used whole with the peel.Important! But the bones from the lemons must be removed, otherwise they will give an unnecessary bitterness to the finished delicacy.
Lemon juice and grated zest are added at the very beginning of cooking, at the first stage of cooking.
Unripe Walnuts Jam with Cloves
Clove - a very interesting spice, perfectly combined with the taste of green walnuts.
You can make jam according to the standard recipe by adding a bag with 10-12 buds of cloves during cooking for additional flavoring of the dessert.
But there is a more original way to use cloves. To do this, peeled nuts before another soaking, nashpigovyvayut buds cloves, using 3-4 pieces for each fruit.
Then, according to the traditional scheme, they are soaked for several more days, boiled in water, and then in sugar syrup. Roll up for the winter. It turns out a very original delicacy, which will be appreciated by lovers of spicy desserts.
Young walnut jam
For those who are limited in time, but want to try to create a sweet miracle from the green fruit of nuts, there is a recipe for the relatively rapid production of this jam.
You will need:
- 1 kg of young walnuts;
- 1 kg of sugar;
- 250-300 ml of water;
- a pinch of cinnamon.
- Fruits are washed, pierced in several places with a fork and boiled for 20 to 30 minutes without soaking.
- Pour cold water, keep it at least half an hour.
- Repeat the procedure one more time.
- Prepare a syrup, completely dissolving sugar in water and adding cinnamon.
- Throw nuts in boiling syrup, boil for a quarter of an hour and leave to cool for 10 hours.
- Again boil the same amount of time and set aside for 10 hours.
- After the third cooking, the jam is packaged in sterile containers and spun.
Reviews of Green Walnut JamSvetlana Bondareva, 42, Stavropol As my mother told me, my grandmother often cooked walnut jam, when I was little. But the grandmother is long gone, and no one remembered the recipe how to cook it. Last year, the Internet managed to find a recipe, and immediately tried to cook a long-awaited dish. Probably, in childhood everything seems to be tastier, because I didn’t have much excitement, but my children liked it. Vadim Konyakov, 49 years old, Taganrog This year I decided to make it myself, but without lime. Despite the fact that I spent about 3 weeks on the process, something did not work out. It turned out sugary gruel without much flavor and taste.
Maria Kunikova, 34 years old, the city of Kozelsk. Acquaintances tried a jar of unique exotic - walnuts jam. Indeed, something unique. The syrup itself did not make much of an impression, but here the nuts cling. Something in them is such, unlike any other and very tasty.
Terms and conditions of storage
Hermetically rolled or twisted jars of green walnut jam can be perfectly preserved for several years in a cool place with a temperature not higher than + 25 ° C. It is desirable that they do not fall into the sun.
The green walnut jam recipes described in this article do not exhaust all possible culinary fantasies of hostesses. After trying to make this jam once, you can endlessly experiment with the addition of various spices (ginger, nutmeg) or berries and fruits. Thus, the usefulness of the finished product will only increase.