Phytophthora is a fungus that infects solanaceous plants: potatoes, tomatoes, physalis and eggplants. The greatest aggressiveness of the disease falls on foggy, wet weather. Phytophthora declares itself with large differences between day and night air temperatures. There is a high risk of disease in case of heavily thickened planting of crops. The likelihood of late blight increases when placing a number of beds with solanaceous plants (for example, tomatoes and potatoes).
The disease manifests itself in the form of indistinct patches of gray-brown hue on the tubers, leaves and stems of the plant. Sick potatoes can not be eaten.
How to treat potatoes before planting from phytophthora, how to protect plants in later stages of development - this article is devoted to this.
How to prepare the soil
In winter, at low temperatures, the majority of pathogens phytophthora in the soil die.Tip! Do not be lazy in the fall to remove from the site the old tops and last year's potato tubers. Collect them and burn them.
It is undesirable to plant potatoes several times at the same place. The best is a break of 2-3 years.
Good prevention of late blight - tillage using means “Baikal EM-1” or EM-5, this allows you to get rid of the rest of the fungus in the soil.
Selection rules for planting material
Tubers intended for planting, carefully inspect, discarding the diseased. Before planting, it is necessary to divide the tubers of different varieties in order to place them in different beds. Pay attention to varieties that are resistant to late blight infection. These are the following varieties:
If you choose these varieties for planting, then you can be calm: your crops do not face a fungal infection.
How to germinate tubers
Before germinating potatoes for planting, wash and dry the tubers. Do not keep them in water or damp, as they will start to rot. Germinate planting material preferably in a well-lit room with good ventilation. The temperature in the room ranges from 10 to 15 degrees. Sprout the tubers, putting them in cardboard boxes or boxes in two layers. Periodically turn the tubers to sprout stronger. Also ensure that the boxes are lit evenly.
Chemical treatment of tubers
Disinfection of planting material reduces the likelihood of the disease of potatoes, including late blight - including. However, it is necessary to observe security measures in order to protect the potato from contamination and not to turn it into a product dangerous for health, “stuffed” with chemistry. Therefore, before processing, you need to carefully study the instructions and follow it strictly.Tip! Helps against infection by phytophthora processing potato tubers before planting such complex drugs as "Prestige" and "Maxim".
In addition, it is a good protection against potato scab and Colorado potato beetles. Their disadvantage is a high percentage of toxic substances.
Quite good results are given by means of the Fitosporin of complex action. Among the diseases of fungal and bacterial origin, which suppresses the drug, there is late blight. An important point, in addition to efficiency, is the safety of the drug and the possibility of its use at all stages of plant development. Powder dosage - 20 g per 10-liter bucket. Spraying frequency - 2 weeks.
For the prevention of phytophthora produce spraying of planting tubers in the period of germination and immediately before planting potatoes.
Folk methods of planting material processing
- Add in a 10-liter bucket of water 1 kg of ash, stir. Putting potatoes in a mesh bag, dip it into the solution. Handled immediately before planting.
- Dissolve 1 g of potassium permanganate and a matchbox of copper vitriol in 10 liters of water. Spraying tubers before planting protects against fungal infections.
Disinfecting mixture based on mineral fertilizers
At 10 liters of hot water accounted for.
- Urea - 40 g.
- Copper sulfate - 5 g.
- Mangantsovka - 1 year
- Boric acid - 10 g
- Superphosphate - 60 g.
Mix all ingredients. After cooling, soak the planting tubers in a solution for half an hour. After that, you can dry the potatoes and put in boxes for germination.
If detected phytophthora: folk methods for plant protection
Despite the simplicity, these tools help to effectively fight late blight.
- Garlic infusion. Chop 100 g of garlic and leave in 10 liters of water for 24 hours. Before use, strain the solution. Spray the potatoes every week until the phytophtora is gone completely.
- Kefir solution. Dissolve 1 L peroxide kefir in a 10 liter bucket of water. Strain the solution. Spray weekly until fungus is completely removed.
- Bordeaux mixture. Dissolve 200 g of copper sulfate in 10 liters of water. The effectiveness of the solution is enhanced by adding boric acid and manganese to the solution.
- Iodine solution. This antiseptic is useful not only to people, but also to plants. At a 10-liter bucket of water enough 20-30 drops of iodine. The frequency of processing - every week.
- Ash. Mix 0.5 buckets of wood ash with 10 liters of water. Insist the mixture for 4 days, stir occasionally. All this time, wood ash nourishes the water with nutrients. On the 5th day, dilute the mixture to 30 liters, dissolve 50 g of soap in it and go to save the harvest.
- Yeast solution. Dissolve 100 g of yeast in 10 liters of slightly warmed water and leave the mixture to ferment for 24 hours. When symptoms appear on the bushes, spray the plant with a yeast solution.
Compliance with crop rotation and planting rules, processing of plants before sowing and at different stages of their development will allow you to avoid the defeat of potatoes by fungus. To carry out the treatment or not is up to you, but, as practice shows, the cultivated tubers give the best yield, and the probability of illness decreases.